The cupcakes are a combination of recipes and ideas from "Cupcake Wars" http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=cupcake+wars&fnSearchType=site, the food network web site http://www.foodnetwork.com/ as well as ideas born out of my own mind.
I was excited to try this idea for a cupcake filled with a peanut butter cup and frosted with PB frosting. I decided a good test would be to take them to work and try them out on my co-workers. I had been planning all week to make them on Fri. night and take them to work on Sat. (smaller group). Well Fri. didn't really go as I had planned and to make a really long story short I was completely exhausted by the time I got to start working on them. However I was not to be derailed I really wanted to do this. I got out all my supplies and ingredients together only to find I had no half/half. I did have some heavy cream that I had gotten to make the frosting so I just mixed that with milk, first crises avoided.
The recipe makes 24 cupcakes; perfect, enough to take to work and still leave a few home for the fam. But wait where is my other 12 cup pan? hum ok so I guess this will take a bit longer because I will have to do 2 batches. That's ok. mini crises overcome.
I got my batter all mixed and filled the first 12 cups, turned around and saw the stick of butter sitting on the microwave...oops. Ok no big deal just scrape out all the cups back into the bowl (10 min or so) crises 2 fixed.
Check the recipe to see exactly how much butter I need, oh the butter was for the frosting not the cupcakes. Refill the 12 cups (new liners) first idiot move overcome.
Put the cupcakes in the oven. Uh Oh forgot to preheat the oven. REALLY!!! have I ever baked before? Ok no problem just find a few things to do while I wait................. ok now put them in. Idiot move 2 overcome.
Finally the frosting is done and the cupcakes are out of the oven. Time to start putting the PB cups in the center. Well what do you know the second batch is not quit done back in the oven for a few more minutes.
Now they are done, last hurdle cleared. That was fun. The finished product.
Chocolate Peanut Butter-Cup Cupcakes:
Approximately 24 of the small PB cups
Chocolate Cupcake
Peanut Butter Frosting
Chocolate Cupcake http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chocolate-cupcakes-with-ganache-and-marshmallow-frosting-recipe/index.html
I used the cupcake portion of this recipe only.
Ingredients:
2cps granulated sugar
1 3/4 cp flour
3/4 cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half or half a cup heavy cream and half a cup milk
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 TBL vanilla
1 cp boiling water
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 12 cup cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs, half-and-half, oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the boiling water until fully combined.
Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with batter and bake until the cupcakes spring back when touched with your finger, 10 - 15 min. Let cool in the pans for a few minutes.
While cupcakes are still slightly warm begin pressing small PB cups into the centers. Then pipe on PB frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting: I was unable to find a recipe that was not part of another recipe. So from this site I used only the frosting recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chocolate-cupcakes-and-peanut-butter-icing-recipe/index.html
1 cp confectioners sugar
1cp creamy peanut butter
5 TBL unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream
Place all the above ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
Mix on medium speed until creamy, scraping down the sides and bottom of bowl with a rubber spatula as you work. Add cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.
I took my creations to work and received high praise. Everyone loved them and one guy said he thought they may be the best thing he ever ate. YAY.
I kind of thought they were a bit rich and maybe I should only have used half of the little PB cups. But hey everyond loved them and I had a great time making them inspite of all the errors.
No comments:
Post a Comment